It is mandatory for all students, wishing to study in Turkey, to have health insurance coverage during the full duration of their studies. A valid Health Insurance is required in order to apply for a Turkish Residence Permit.
Please note that NO TRAVEL INSURANCE will be accepted by the Turkish Immigration Office!
Students accepted to DOU will need to get a private insurance covering their health for, at least, the first year of their stay in Turkey. This health insurance should be valid in Turkey. Students can either subscribe to an international company that has a branch in Turkey, or directly sign a contract with a Turkish private health insurance company during the first few days of their stay, which is the most appropriate and effective option regarding the completion of the residence permit application.
After the students who are accepted by their respective universities in Turkey obtain their residence permit. Two options will be available regarding their health insurance coverage.
- Either to continue subscribing to private health insurance companies until the end of their studies
- Or switch to the Turkish State General Health Insurance (GHI) at the Social Security Institution (SSI). This option is more costly but generally offers a better health insurance package.
Important information about General Health Insurance (GHI)
- Students who are covered by GHI may apply to state and university hospitals with their Foreign National Number as long as they have paid their premium.
- No payment is required at any state or university hospitals. It is for this reason that all international students are recommended to register for GHI.
- The patient share for medications is 20%. Coverage of expenses for eyeglasses etc. is in accordance with the Directive for Health Applications.
- General Health Insurance does not cover any expenses at private hospitals. Please keep in mind that various amounts may be charged at different private hospitals. The patient share for medications is 20% regardless.
- Students holding a Turkish Residency Permit for more than 6 months will automatically be registered at the Turkish Social Security Institution through the centralized system.
- The insurance will be valid until the end of the academic year. Students usually receive Social Security number upon the registration at the health authority. If your country has Bilateral Social Security Agreements, that means your insurance in your country is also valid in Turkey.